Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Falling in love... with a robot

For my final project, I wanted to work on human as robots. I loved the fact that robots have an on/off switch. Using this idea, I imagined how a human-robot would act with an on/off switch. I imagine the perfect human being as having this switch for emotions. Going further into my research, I found a video on Aiko, a robot designed by a Japanese man. This robot resembles a cute little asian girl. The idea disturbed me. It is ridiculous how robots are built to look like these girls for other grown human beings to possess. The obsessive yet technologically advanced Japanese culture just amazes me.

So. I "made" one. I wanted to see the attraction to a robot. My robot is male. His name is BX59. I wanted to get into the idea of designing and falling in love with technology and one's property. With a few easy programs, I was able to teach my robot "love." He dressed/ undressed to my "desire." He also had a collar on all times. But interacting with my robot got awkward. You'll see.

Here is an excellent article about falling in love with robots, where robots and humans are interchangeable. What made the article even better was the title of the piece: Programmed for Love: If advances in artificial intelligence continue, your next lover may have an on/off switch. Please read before watching, thanks.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/20/AR2007122002662.html

No comments:

Post a Comment