Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Turn me on BX59

Falling in love with a robot...

For my final project, I wanted to work on human as robots. I loved the fact that robots have an on/off switch. Using this idea, I imagined how a human-robot would act with an on/off switch. I imagine the perfect human being as having this switch for emotions. Going further into my research, I found a video on Aiko, a robot designed by a Japanese man. This robot resembles a cute little asian girl. The idea disturbed me. It is ridiculous how robots are built to look like these girls for other grown human beings to possess. The obsessive yet technologically advanced Japanese culture just amazes me.

So. I "made" one. I wanted to see the attraction to a robot. My robot is male. His name is BX59. I wanted to get into the idea of designing and falling in love with technology and one's property. With a few easy programs, I was able to teach my robot "love." He dressed/ undressed to my "desire." He also had a collar on all times. But interacting with my robot got awkward. You'll see.

I started to question whether hearing the right words were enough for a person or do emotions have to be connected with the words in order for them to mean something. Humans use language(s) to communicate. How else can we communicate? Through the body, the mind?
Part I




Part II

No comments:

Post a Comment