Tuesday, October 12, 2010

ELIZABETH PERRY

CATASTROPHIC EVENT:

ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE

This is going to be based on my knowledge of zombies without doing research since, should zombies suddenly take over, I wouldn’t magically know anything about their behavior.

What I know about zombies already is that they have tattered clothes, they’re not dead or alive, and they bite humans and turn them into more zombies. That’s literally all I know. I don’t know how to kill them or fight them off, and have no idea how strong they are, so I’m going to make a few assumptions as I create my plan of what I would actually do if a zombie apocalypse happened right now as I sit in my second floor Sherill single where I’m an RA.

I would probably stay put in my dorm room. My first plan of action would be to barricade the door and windows. For the door, I’d use a chair and a short dresser. For the windows, I’d use a tall bureau and a tall dresser, since the windows are quite tall. I might also take apart my bed frame and use the pieces, other than the mattress, to make the barricade stronger. I can’t imagine leaving my room since I wouldn’t know the first thing about fighting off zombies. I wouldn’t answer my door, and I wouldn’t let anyone in unless they could prove that they weren’t a zombie and that they wanted to create a team…and not kill me/take my stuff. (Inevitably, I would probably end up withering away, but I’m just trying to be realistic here).

FOOD-In my room I have:

-two boxes of cereal

-raw rice pilaf

-raw venison

-ice

-a small amount of water

-a small amount of milk

-three boxes of raw instant oatmeal

-raw egg noodles

-and dry onion soup mix

OTHER STUFF-In my room I have-

-toiletries

-clothing

-blankets

-mattress

-stapler

-scissors

-writing utensils

-paper towels

-a rug

-garbage cans

It seems that I have a ton of useless junk that would get me absolutely nowhere in a zombie apocalypse. I have no skills, no trust, and no tools. I would maybe last for 2 weeks maximum if I failed to leave my room. If I did leave my room, it’d be an entirely different story.


2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, zombies.... You never know. Your list is a nice start, but you are copping out on the challenge by predicting your own failure. If you don't know much about zombies, perhaps you don't realize how easily you might survive them. Some zombies may even show compassion or collaborate with you (see the movie "Fido").

    What is the building made of and how do you imagine it would be affected by fire? Zombies start a lot of fires, and there might not be someone to put it out. Can you escape out the window?

    If you have no tools, how will you take apart the bed frame?

    What's the total calorie count of the food you have and how many ounces of water? You could live a few weeks (possibly) without food. Without water or other fluids you may die in as few as 3-5 days.

    What about communication? At the very least, do you have any way to communicate with the remaining humans aside form shouting through the door?

    Most troubling to me is that your first inclination is to hole yourself off and die - alone. Really? There is no one around you that you might go to for/to help?

    ReplyDelete
  2. here are two more interesting resources:

    the Zombie Survival Matrix:
    http://flowingdata.com/2010/10/01/zombie-survival-guide/


    Survivor IQ Test
    http://www.clearspring.com/widgets/49663ddbe1f1df02

    ReplyDelete