Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Jenny's Escape Routes

I chose Carr McGuire House, Houghton House and Carriage House because I spend most of my time at those places. In this animation, I mapped out most of the escape routes at those places. In emergency, breaking the windows will be considered as well. When I was shooting, I realized there are more fire extinguishers than I thought.

[What is in my backpack on a regular basis?]

A wallet: Some cash, HWS ID, Wegman’s Shoppers Card, art dept key card, Chautauqua Institution gate passes ‘09 and ‘10, credit card, a piece of paper with my contact info.

Sketchbook, notebook (a binder actually), Italian textbook;

Triplus fineliners, technical pens, iPod, Italian study cards, a thumb drive, hand cream, a watch, menthol, post-it, sunscreen lotion, mechanical pencils and leads, a cell phone; keys

A point ‘n shoot camera.

[Strengths and Weaknesses]

Cash, shoppers card, key card, and gate passes would not be very helpful when a catastrophe happens. With my sketchbook, pens, and a camera, I would be able to record what happens during the catastrophe. Whether I can survival or not eventually, I will have something for people who want to know what happened. Menthol is useful, as it helps relieve stuffy nose, insect bites, chapped skin, minor skin-burns, abrasion, sunburns and skin irritations.

Strengths are: calm; not afraid of death; always have snakes around; not selfish

Weaknesses are: I will freak out if I am alone; not an outdoor person

[Essential Survival Skills]

CPR certified; know how to start a fire with matches or a lighter; able to build some easy constructions; always wearing flip-flops will hurt me if I had to walk for a long distance

[Animation]



1 comment:

  1. I appreciate how thorough your escape routes have been considered. Amanda Ripley's book talks a lot about how the simple act of momentarily considering an escape route can drastically improve your ability to avoid a disaster. Practicing the route is even better. Your observation about the extinguishers is a good one. Now that you are aware of the number and location of extinguishers you may prove to be the most valuable person in the room if a fire were to erupt in any of your locations.

    I was struck by the amount of glass your entryways seem to have in general. That's another plus in that daylight could guide you through a smoke filled hallway. You will also be able to quickly detect a blocked exit.

    I think your backpack could use work - so could your shoes. However, if you are a common size you could always take a pair off a corpse and use your lotion to sanitize you hands (assuming there is some alcohol in it). You also have a number of ways to start a fire already in your bag - if you add a couple items and learn some tricks. For example, any device with a battery can start a fire if you carry some very thin wire or steel wool. You should also check the flammability of your lotion, sunscreen, menthol, and inks.I'd also look to add a simple container (like a small water bottle or bladder). You can fold a cup from the paper, but you would have a hard time boiling it.

    So where do you go? Who do you go to, and over what time frame? Will this person/place be expecting you? Will your survival odds go up or down if you band with another person or grup?

    ReplyDelete