Tuesday, November 23, 2010

éarpa: Mystic Knowledge of Your Future

My piece will be called “Zéarpa: Mystic Knowledge of Your Future” (although that is a working title). In this piece I will perform in front of a camera as a fortune teller machine and bestow prophetic knowledge onto the HWS campus. I have an interest in people’s reception of divination and the tension that occurs because of intentions of the questions or sincerity behind receiving the advice. Fortune Teller machines live among carnival and fair games. They live behind back alleys, behind WaWa’s. My intentions for the piece is to invite students to play with this indulgence for themselves and distribute insights that they may not take seriously, but I do, and potentially either relieve or instill a sense of anticipation and surreal obscurity between the line of fatalism and self-fulfilled prophecy. To quote Scott Cunningham, an expert author on Solitary Wicca practice, “Magic is the projection of natural energies to produce needed effects.” I want to use my art to produce a needed effect on a population which, by finals week, are seeking a means to project their natural energies for purposes of closure and achievement. effects."
I will only need a power strip, a desktop PC, with a keyboard, mouse, and Ethernet cord, and cardboard to build the prescenium around the computer, to give the look of the Fortune Teller Machines. It will be placed on a tall table either by student activities or the back of the café. It will be flashy and exciting in order to replicate that intrigue that a “Zoltar” – like machine evokes. “Zéarpa” is my last name spelled backwards, Apraéz.

No comments:

Post a Comment